"I hated going somewhere and being treated differently" — Mayoku revealed thae reason he kept his mother as secrets.

Mayorkun, the Nigerian singer also known as Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel, recently opened up about the reason behind keeping his mother's identity hidden for a significant period of time. During an interview with media personality Taymesan, which was published on YouTube, Mayorkun explained that he made this decision in order to protect his mother from the insincere attention that her fame attracted.

As the son of renowned Nollywood actress Toyin Adewale, Mayorkun and his brother were not particularly fond of their mother's celebrity status while growing up. They longed for a sense of normalcy and freedom, but unfortunately, her fame brought along with it a wave of artificial affection.

Mayorkun expressed his disdain for being treated differently solely because of his association with his mother's fame. He shared, "I despised the instances where I would go somewhere and receive special treatment not because of who I am, but because I am Toyin Adewale's son."

The singer even went to great lengths to ensure that his university peers remained unaware of his mother's identity for a span of four years. He deliberately kept this information concealed, as he wanted to maintain a sense of independence and avoid any unnecessary attention.

Mayorkun recounted an incident where his mother brought him food at school, and he hurriedly rushed to her location to collect the items she had brought, ensuring that no one else caught sight of her.

By choosing to hide his mother's identity, Mayorkun aimed to shield her from the superficiality that often accompanies fame. He prioritized his mother's well-being and sought to create a space where he could be recognized for his own accomplishments, rather than solely as the son of a famous actress.

In his words, he said "Growing up, my brother and I did not like that our mom was a famous actress. We wanted freedom, but with her fame came fake attention and all. 

He further explained, "I hated going somewhere and being treated differently, not because you like me but because I am Toyin Adewale's son. Even in my university, people did not know she was my mother for four years. I was intentional about this."

"My mom brought food to me at school once, and a girl saw her. I quickly ran to where she was to get the items she came with just so no one else saw her." The "mama" crooner singer added



No comments

Powered by Blogger.