Life Tales: BEHIND CLOSED DOORS (TRUE LIFE STORY) Episode 1 by Oyiza.

 

“Jane, I can’t keep living like this, I feel lost and I need your help, you are balling in Dubai, don’t leave me stranded here with my new baby” I pleaded with my friend.

Jane and I were friends in Lagos where we both worked for a company before she travelled to Dubai. She’s that ideal friend that I loved in my corner.

She was the epitome of beauty with an alluring smile. We ate together, worked together, planned our lives together and when she left for Dubai, I couldn’t but be glad for her and wished her nothing but good tidings.

On the other hand, things were not going well with me. I became pregnant and left Lagos for the village to have my child. I was 2 steps backward from where I was running from and I was burdened with lots of things. 

I was burdened with taking care of my child, burdened with taking care of my mother and I was burdened with the stagnancy I was experiencing.

I needed a new way out. A fresh breath of air and a way out of the shackles I found myself.

”Dear Lord, help me” I found myself whispering every day. Things were so bad for me until Jane sent me a message and asked me to join her in Dubai.

Jane asking me to join her in Dubai was like a prayer answered. 

All I wanted was a good life and Jane was offering it to me. 

All I needed to do was manage her Aunt’s shop and I would rake in as much dirhams as I needed to be comfortable.

“I don’t have any cash with me, how do I sort the travel expenses, accommodation and feeding?” I asked my friend and she assured me that everything will be okay. 

“All your expenses will cost 40 thousand dirhams and that would be around 4 million naira” she replied me immediately.

“Hmmmm” I said amidst the uncertainty.

“How long do I have to work to pay this debt?”

“Don’t worry much; you will be done with your payment within 4 to 6 months.”

“6 months?” I screamed out. 

Different thoughts started running through my head. Imagine raising 4 million naira in just 6 months. The joy in my heart knew no bound.

It’s finally over. The fear of not taking care of my son. The fear of not breaking the poverty yoke. It’s finally coming to an end.

It didn’t take long for me to express my gratitude. I was so happy and I couldn’t the d.anger I was walking into.

 I had no reason to be worried. She’s been my trusted friend for a very long time, and we have always been each other go-to person.

She connected me to an agent who processed my passport and visa then we left for her manager’s place in Lagos.

On getting there, I met other ladies who were also heading to Dubai and I was glad I wasn't the only one going.

My joy was cut  short when we driven to a shrine, stripped naked and given water used to bath a d.ead body to drink.


Click here for Episode 2

No comments

Powered by Blogger.